A History of Power
In 1892, the year IBEW Local 26 got its charter, Washington, D.C. was comprised of dirt roads, cow pastures, and only a few of the monuments that stand today. By 1894, Local 26 members had set the U. S. Capitol ablaze with lights for the first time in history.
As the country's demand for power accelerated, Local 26 became involved in rates and usage in an effort to make electricity more generally available. All the while, the Union demonstrated its devotion to the community of organized labor by striving for better working conditions, pay and security.
World War II brought a work boom, and the huge 34-acre Pentagon gave Local 26 a big push. After the War, there was the rush to the suburbs, and new homes, shopping malls and schools were constructed in nearby Maryland and Virginia. By the mid 1960's, the spotlight turned to the construction of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts — said to be the largest all-electric building in the world at that time. Its magnificent chandeliers were hung by Local 26 electricians. In the 1970's, agreements with the Washington Daily News and The Evening Star, and the enormous Metro system made Local 26 the dominant force in powering the Nation's Capitol.
In 2006, Local 26 moved in to a new headquarters in Lanham, Maryland, which has allowed our JATC to expand their training to over 30,000 square feet. The classrooms are comprised of the latest technology available for the training of our new apprentices and to further educate our journeymen. We also have an 18,000 square foot training facility in Manassas, Virginia. In addition, we have expanded to Southern Maryland where we enjoy a partnership with North Point High School. Our satellite office in Roanoke, Virginia is the location of another training center. Because of the excellent training we offer our apprentices and journeymen, Local 26 members enjoy higher wages and better benefits than ever before.